Built in 1855, the beautiful, historic Glesmann House was bequeathed to Rome Clean and Green in 2004. This home was occupied by five generations of the Glesmann family before being generously gifted to the organization. The property was entrusted to Rome Clean and Green as a testament to the family’s commitment to the history and preservation of Rome.
The home was constructed by New Yorker George Hammann (1822-1908). He left the home to his daughter, Amelia, who married Louis Glesmann, a pillar of the Rome community. Mr. Glesmann was best known for the construction of the downtown Glesmann-Hower Block at the corner of Dominick and Washington Streets. Mr. Glesmann was born in Bavaria, Germany in 1827. He came to America in 1852, and a short time later, located to Lewis County, where he was a farmer and proprietor of a general store. He relocated to Rome in 1874.
Louis and Ameila’s son, Louis George Glesmann I, occupied the residence after his mother’s death in 1932. He was a metallurgist, employed at Revere Copper and Brass, where he later became vice-president. He was an active member of the community, including service as the President of the Rome Chamber of Commerce and President of the board of trustees of the Central New York School for the Deaf. Louis married Eleanor Bradford Brainerd, daughter of esteemed Rome photographer Jonathan M. Brainerd, who operated a studio and art store downtown in the Glesmann-Hower block. Many historic Rome photos bear his imprint.
Louis and Eleanor had three children, Louis George II, an engineer; Dr. John B., an anesthesiologist; and a daughter, Mary Carolyn, known to Romans as Carol. Carol was a research chemist for Eastman Kodak, following in her grandfather’s footsteps as a pioneer in the photographic field.
Louis George II was wed to Ruth Cruess, and together had three children, Louis III, Nancy, and Cynthia. Dr. John Brainerd Glesmann married Sylvia Hoffmann, and they had three children, Eric, Glenn, and Jonathan. This marks the fifth generation of Glesmann’s since the home was erected prior to the Civil War.
Carol resided in the Glesmann family home until her passing in 2002. Knowing the family’s commitment and dedication to preserving Rome’s history, the family felt that donating the home to Rome Clean and Green would be a significant way to contribute to the group’s beautification and preservation efforts.